Hey Welcome to my Blog! Take a look around and I hope you enjoy! Also I would love it if you Followed me!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: The Madman's Daughter

By: Megan Shepherd
Pages: 432
Publish Date: January 29, 2013

Summary: Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Rating: 5

Review: I discovered  This is a hidden gem. Well I don't know how hidden it is, it seems well known even though it hasn't been released yet. I would give this more than five stars if I could, I enjoyed it so much.

I am not sure I would have read this book, it I didn't get an ARC. Oh but I would have missed out. This book was thrilling. It didn't scare me, it was disturbing and creepy but it didn't scare me. This isn't the typical book I would read, but I would have missed out

Juliet Moreau, has had a difficult life. Her father, Dr. Moreau, left her and her mother when she was ten because of a scandal. Her mother died when she was fourteen. She had to work hard to pay rent and survive. From the beginning you see how difficult her life is. Even though her life is hard, I'm not not sure I say I took pity on her. She was brave and strong and can take care of herself. She is fired from her cleaning job at King's College. She finds Montgomery, her fathers' assistance. She goes with him in hopes to see the father that left her. Along the way They find a castaway named Edward.

Now, from the summary, you hear a love triangle, right? Even if you hate or even detest love triangles, don't overlook this book. It has so much else to offer. The plot balances the love triangle. Most love triangles are irritating, weak, and can be boring. Well done Megan!  *applauds* This is none of those things! The plot and the romance give each other fuel and propel each other foreword. So there is Edward and Montgomery. They both have great things and bad things about them. Neither one is too perfect. They're flawed, perfect guys are irritating  but they weren't irritating at all. If you not to know where I stand, Team Montgomery!

The best part of the The Madman's Daughter was, most definitely  the plot. It was deep and complex. The twists and turns, always kept me guessing. I never considered it boring, always interesting. The were all complex and unexpected. It had great pacing. Even while Juliet was on the boat it wasn't dull. I kept turning the pages faster and faster until the end.

Then the Cliff-hanger!!! NO!!! I died when I read the ending. I was not expecting a cliff-hanger like that. I was screaming at the ending. Just thinking that the next book doesn't come out for a year is killing me. I am slowly dying thinking about how long that is. You will screaming "NO" and asking "WHY". 

This was a gem of a read, it completely took me by surprise, I would definitely recommend it!


-Jane

8 comments:

  1. Wow, seem like a fantastic book! I will definitely be looking for this at my local library!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes please look for it once it is out!!!
      -Jane

      Delete
  2. I was a little iffy i wanted to read this, but now that I've read your review, Hell yeah! I was a little bit skeptical about the love triangle but now that you explain, I would very much like to see how it goes and which guy i like better. But hearing from here, I like Montgomery for some reason. XD

    I will be definitely on the look out for this book because we have such similar taste in books and you absolutely loved it, this gem of a book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you'll have to read before you decide Montgomery or Edward because they both are good and bad in different ways. Please, Please get this and read this once it comes out I need to talk to someone about this before I die!
      -Jane

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm a new follower from Book Blogs! Check out my blog here Bookish Whimsy, and hopefully you would like to follow back. :)

    Your review definitely makes me want to check this book out! Though maybe I should wait a little to read it so I won't suffer as much from the cliffhanger. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, you blog is great too :D

      I am glad you liked the review, please check it out! You can always wait if you want besides the second book doesn't come out until Jan. 2014, so long.
      -Jane

      Delete
  4. Are you crazy girl!? I want to read this book no matter that I didn't get an ARC. You have made me want it even more! *shakes fists* That cliffhanger sounds like a killer. Although I complain about them all the time I don't mind. Great cliffhangers are what more books need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get it! I loved it! Yeah great cliffhangers just make you want the second book so much more!
      -Jane

      Delete